Date of Award
Dr. Tom Greer
Mr. Lavell Cole
Dr. Herman Sandford
The small town of Washington, Arkansas, which now has a meagre population of 269 once held an important place in history. Early in the nineteenth century, Washington had been a part of the nation's Southwest expansion, for the town lay at the junction of two important national roads. In the 1820's the Chihuahua Road from St. Louis to Mexico served as a mail route and was a major trail to Texas and the Southwest. The Fort Towson Road led from Louisiana through the Oklahoma Indian territory to Fort Smith. During the Mexican War Washington was the mobilization place for the military. Many famous Texas heroes, such as Sam Houston, passed through Washington on their was to battle.
Frias, Marian, "Southwest Arkansas Local Colorists" (1985). Honors Theses. 204.