Date of Award
Master of Arts in Religion (MAR)
Dr. George T. Blackmon
Dr. Bob Riley
Dr. Ben E. Elrod
The purpose of this thesis was to gather and to get in readable form information on the origin, life, personalities, and developments of the Pickles Gap Baptist Church in Faulkner County, Arkansas. The procedure took four lines: (1) a summary history from around 1878 to the present by families, (2) a review of the organizational and functional development, (3) a listing of family contributions to the work of the church, and (4) a resume of contributions by pastors.
The church began in 1878 as the Sulphur Springs Baptist Church. In 1921 the name was changed to Pickles Gap Baptist Church because there were at that time two churches by the old name in the Greenbrier Baptist Association. In the early years, the church was a quarter-time pastorate. It became a full-time pastorate in 1952. Three houses of worship have been built by the church, the present one being built in 1945. The unified budget plan of finance was developed under the Reverend T.W. Hayes' leadership. The organizational development was slow and gradual. The church in 1964 has the four conventional church organizations: Sunday School, Training Union, Women's Missionary Union, and Brotherhood.
Such a study of the Pickles Gap Baptist Church is particularly significant this year because it comes during the Baptist Jubilee Advance devoted to Baptist Heritage.
Hawkins, Thomas Gary, "A History of the Pickles Gap Baptist Church" (1964). OBU Graduate Theses. 8.