Rev. James Wilson, a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, came to Arkansas in 1850 and by 1857 had organized the Palestine Presbyterian Church in Clark County. For two years, worship services were held in private homes, but brush arbors were built for summer revivals. Wilson served as pastor until 1872, and died in 1875. Immediately following Wilson, two senior elders served the church as ministers--J.P. Clingan and W.A. McNutt. Other ministers to serve the church were John Gaither, James Cook, George Pagan, and Raylyn Parkhill.
Members of the church were responsible for the organization of the Hearn Presbyterian Church in 1883. When the new Palestine Church was built in 1914, one of the stained glass windows was given by the Hearn Church.
The Palestine Presbyterian Church was dissolved September 15, 1961.
This collection contains one volume of church records and a newsclipping about pastor John E. Gaither. Administrative Information Publication Information Ouachita Baptist University Library Conditions Governing Access This collection is open for research. Manuscripts may be photocopied by Special Collections staff only. Conditions Governing
Palestine Presbyterian Church Records. Clark County Historical Association Collection. Riley- Hickingbotham Library Special Collection, Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas.