In 1859, ten years after Hamburg was established as the county seat of the newly-created Ashley County, Hamburg First Baptist Church was organized with eleven charter members. The first building was constructed of logs and located on the corner of what is now Parker and Cherry Street. The log church was forty feet by fifty feet with two doors and two windows. The seats were split logs with no backs. The second building was built at this same location and was made from hand-dressed lumber. The Sunday School was taught in various areas of the one big room. First Baptist Church at the present location was built in 1875 and 1876. Records show that in 1910, the pastor was paid $75 per month and special offerings were collected for missions and orphanages. In May of 1927, the construction of a brick church building was finished with the front facing Parker Street. This building was located on the site of the current fellowship building. Sunday School and Training Union met on the ground floor and worship services were held upstairs. The education annex was dedicated on April 4, 1943. Martinville Baptist Mission was started in 1950 and organized as a church in 1951. Gardner Baptist Church was begun as a mission in the early 1960s. The present auditorium was constructed in the early 1950s and dedicated on September 16, 1956. The nursery, primary departments, and offices were completed in 1964. The auditorium was remodeled in 1994 and the ROC (Recreation Outreach Center) was completed in 2007. First Baptist Church of Hamburg is affiliated with the Ashley County Baptist Association, Arkansas State Baptist Convention, Southern Baptist Convention.
This collection includes directories from the First Baptist Church of Hamburg, Arkansas. Along with the photographs of members and member families are photographic records of groups and events of the church. Each directory contains an alphabetical list of members.
First Baptist Church of Hamburg Directories. Arkansas Baptist State Convention Collection. Riley- Hickingbotham Library Archives and Special Collections, Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas.