W.S. Johnson opened a service station at Seventh and Clinton streets in Arkadelphia in July 1920. It was among the first "drive-in" service stations in Arkansas. According to a 1932 newspaper article, his station was "rated as one of the largest and best automobile stations in southwest Arkansas." W.S. Johnson graduated from Ouachita College shortly after its founding, and then did graduate work at Yale, where he earned a Ph.D. He served as head of the Philosophy Department at the University of Arkansas and also headed a college in Oklahoma for a time.
These three ledgers contain business account records of W.S. Johnson of Arkadelphia.
W. S. Johnson Ledgers. Riley-Hickingbotham Library Archives and Special Collections, Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas.