The original Clark County post office was established at the home of pioneer Jacob Barkman along the Caddo River in the early nineteenth century. Arkadelphia became the hub of Clark County's postal service after it became the county seat in the 1840s. In 1916, work began on a new post office in downtown Arkadelphia on Sixth Street, and the structure was completed in 1918. In 1963 work began on another new post office which was completed in 1965. The 1918 post office building currently houses a sporting goods store.
Allen B. Syler (1926-2002) donated this collection. After serving in Army Air Corps during World War II, the Scott County, Arkansas, native became a long-time postal service employee at the Arkadelphia office. Syler was also well-known as a local historian.
This collection contains reports, newsclippings, correspondence, photographs, and documents pertaining to the construction of the Arkadelphia post office in 1916-1918. It also includes newsclippings pertaining to the operation of the post office from the 1950s to the 1980s and significant events in the lives of some of its employees. There are also some research notes collected by Allen Syler on the early history of the Arkadelphia post office as well as artifacts (postal service patches, buttons, and stamps).
Oliver, Wesley, "Arkadelphia Post Office Records" (2018). Guides and Finding Aids. 139.