In 1889 the Arkadelphia Cotton Mills (also known as Ouachita Cotton Mills) began its short-lived, but impressive existence in Arkadelphia. The manufacturing concern had previously operated at Royston from the mid-1870s, but was moved to Clark County. The facility sat on the bank of the Ouachita River, and was initially managed by J.W. Garrison, who had run the mill in Royston and was also a large stockholder. When the factory opened, it gave Arkadelphia the privilege of having one of the most popular and profitable industries in the South at the time. And certainly, the large building atop the bank of the Ouachita River presented quite an impressive appearance to those traveling by train across the river.
Richter, Wendy Bradley, "Arkadelphia Cotton Mills" (2016). Articles. 211.