According to local lore, there were two Methodist churches in Amity prior to and after the Civil War. Others, however, state that the Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized in 1872 or 1873, and that the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1873, with some twenty members. These churches joined to form Amity Methodist Church in 1939 when the two denominations united. In 1967 or 1968, they joined to become the United Methodist Church, a part of the Caddo Gap Circuit.
This collection contains items removed from the church's cornerstone.
Amity Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone Materials. Clark County HIstorical Association Collection. Riley-Hickingbotham Library Special Collections, Ouachita Baptist University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas.